As we finally come to terms with the end of summer, sandwiches and salads no longer satisfy. Try this warming vegan one-pot – it contains 2 of your 5 a day in each serving, and leaves you with minimal washing up. What’s not to love?
Price: £13-14 (based on mySupermarket.com) When costing our recipes, we assume you don’t have any of the ingredients in stock. This means it’s likely to cost less than we quote, unless your cupboards really are bare. We also price according to whole bottles of oil/bags of pasta/jars of spices etc., so you’ll have left-overs to use in other recipes. Sweet!
- 250g bulgar wheat, green lentils and barley mix – if you can’t get your hands on this particular mix, any mix of red/white quinoa and bulgar wheat works well too
- 400g tin of black eyed beans in water, drained
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 325g tin of sweetcorn, drained
- 330g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tsp paprika – replace this with dried chilli flakes if you fancy more spice!
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds
- 100g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the bulgar wheat mix and black eyed beans to a pan with 1/2 cup of water, leave to simmer over a medium heat (lid on) for 5 minutes
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, paprika and celery seeds, stir well and leave to simmer (lid off) for another 5 minutes
- Stir in the sweetcorn and cherry tomatoes and leave for a few minutes until the tomatoes are heated through but retain their shape
- Take off the heat, taste and add salt/pepper/additional paprika to suit
- Once cooled stir in the coriander and enjoy!
This healthy dish will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge if stored in airtight containers. Simply reheat before eating – perfect for week day lunches in between lectures!
Heidi is studying for a PhD in Applied Health Sciences at the University of Aberdeen. Most people don’t believe her when she says she has a pet hedgehog named Roy.