We’re embracing the best of the summer’s seasonal fare with this peach and raspberry creation. The original Peach Melba consists of peaches and raspberry sauce with vanilla ice cream, but we’ve given it a bit of a make-over to make it breakfast-friendly. Because who doesn’t love dessert for breakfast? The flaxseed in this recipe are a great source of Omega 3 (the same stuff you find in oily fish) and should keep you feeling fuller for longer. Make this the night before if you’re including the flaxseed, or whip it up in the morning without the flax and drink as a smoothie. The possibilities are endless…
Time: 5 minutes preparation time; overnight to set
Price: £7-8 (based on mySupermarket.com). When costing our recipes, we assume you don’t have any of the ingredients in stock. This means it’s likely to cost less than we quote, unless your cupboards really are bare. We also price according to whole bottles of oil/bags of pasta/jars of spices etc., so you’ll have left-overs to use in other recipes. The main cost in this recipe is the flaxseed, which should last for weeks. Try these mango and raspberry ice lollies if you have left-over fruit.
- 1 cup of milk (normal, almond or soya work best)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 bananas
- 2 peaches
- 3 handfuls fresh raspberries
- 4 tbsp flaxseed
- natural/vanilla yoghurt to serve
- Peel and chop the banana, then slice the peach.
- Add the milk and vanilla to a blender, then throw in the fruit and blend until smooth.
- Give it a taste test – if the raspberries are a bit sharp, add a squeeze of honey or a few strawberries. Blend again.
- Add the flaxseed and blend until well mixed.
- Divide into bowls or mugs and leave in the fridge overnight. The flaxseed soak up the liquid from the milk, making it nice and thick by the morning.
- Give it a good stir, then serve with yoghurt and a few more raspberries.
For a more tropical vibe, try swapping the milk for coconut milk and the vanilla for lime juice. It may no longer count as Peach Melba, but it’s equally delicious.